Thursday, January 12, 2012

Interview with BigShot Reub and The Reloaders!!!

Name: BigShot Reub and The Reloaders
Genre: Blues/Rock/Jazz
Hometown: San Diego, CA

Here are the members of the band:

Reuben Vigil - Vocals/ Guitar/Composer

Jodie Hill- Bass

Ric Lee- Drums       



Below are their individual responses to the questions, enjoy :):

1.  What inspired you guys to play music?


REUBEN:
My family is first generation to the U.S.A. from Mexico. They struggled their whole life discovering America. A big part of this discovery process included listening and appreciating a wide range of music. Everything from County to Western and Jazz!!


JODIE:


I was inspired to music by my father. He was a huge Jazz fan and belonged to several record clubs receiving the latest in Jazz. He always had a great Stereo, so all the instruments sounded great. From that, I had a drive to learn the bass. It has dominated my life ever since.

RIC:

Family tradition

2.  How has music changed your life?


REUBEN:
Playing the guitar has helped to keep me balanced during some pretty difficult times.
JODIE:


I have had incredible experiences in my life, getting to see most parts of the country and meeting some fascinating people.


RIC:


While playing a gig in Lake Charles, LA, his band opened for Queen Ida at a local club. I am also inspired by: BB King, lazy Lester (son of Robert Johnson) Fabulous T-Birds, John Bonham, Chick Web, Sam lay (Muddy Waters drummer). Mesmerized and connected with the Zydeco and Cajun beats, which became a hallmark of my style.

 3.  What bands do you guys listen to and how have they shaped your music?


REUBEN:
So far: BB King, Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck Carol King, Todd Rundgren, The Allman Brothers, Earth, Wind and Fire, Chaka Khan and Rufus, Ohio Players, Chic Corea, Herbie Hancock, Steely Dan, Elvis Costello, Jackson Brown, and Joni Mithchell.


*Lately I have been checking out a band called The Cherry Bluestorms. They will be here in San Diego at The Eleven on February 18, 2012.

JODIE:


My background is influenced by Jazz and some of my greatest influences have been great bass players like: Ray Brown, Rufus Reid, Ron Carter, Jimmy Garrison, Gary Carr, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clark and the list can go on and on.


RIC:


Boozoo Chavis, Keith Frank, Queen Ida, Brian Jack, Beausoleil and Lisa Haley are some of my favorites. 


4.  What advice do you guys have for others that want to pursue in a music based career?


REUBEN:
Realize early on that you are not going to have any peace in this life, without pursuing the music you love.
JODIE:


My biggest advice for any Musician is learning to read music. Listen to everybody and every style. Learn all your scales because they are the back bone of any song you will perform.

RIC:


Stick with the basics. A band is like an automobile engine, it moves as one and less is more (in terms of members of the band). Always be learning new music and styles, be a lifelong student of music and a team player. Show up early.

 5.  Where did you guys get the idea for the name of your band?


REUBEN:
Big Shot Reub was a name I was given by David Mickey, while I was working at a local Bill Collections Agency. 

6.  What do you guys want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?


REUBEN:
The album "ROUNDHOUSE BLUES" is the first of many. Everyone from reviewers, producers, promoters and fans are pushing for the next album. Get Ready!!!!


JODIE:


I am a HUGE baseball fan! When riding to gigs with Reuben, I always make him put on the games in the car.


RIC:


I started playing drums at the age 10 years old and made my own drumsticks out of scrap wood and began learning how to play drums. I began playing in the school band and started playing professionally at the age of 16 for local events.


7.  What are you thinking when you guys are on stage?


REUBEN:
Every event/venue has its own vibe (spirit). I try to plug in to that energy and deliver a great performance the audience won’t forget.


JODIE:


Depends on the tune, but as a rule I am listening to how I can make the song as musical as possible. Do I keep everything really straight in terms of my bass part or do I stretch out a little. Always keeping in mind the style of the tune.


RIC:

I am thinking “what does the audience want to hear” and “people hear with their eyes” so show them how much fun you are having playing for them! Give your audience 1000 percent always.


8.  What does your family think of your music?


REUBEN:
My family has always been supportive and know that it took me about 50 years to realize that music is an important part of my life.


JODIE: 




In general they were pretty supportive, although they left it up to me to succeed and keep in mind what my responsibility’s where.


RIC:
My family is very proud, I am a direct descendant of Confederate General Robert E. Lee and come from a very southern musical family steeped in the tradition of Blues, Americana and Cajun/Zydeco music.

Feeling the blues and want to cry out your sorrows, well this band feels your pain: BigShot Reub and The Reloaders. You might ask your self what real determination for a band is and after checking out this interview you will know what it is :)

No comments:

Post a Comment