Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Interview with Mike Acerbo!!!

Name: Mike Acerbo
 
Hometown: New York City
 
Genre: Indie/Alternative 
 
Below are Mike's responses:
 
1. If you could describe your style of music in one word, what would it be?
 
Ethereal
 
2. What is your favorite food to eat, when you are writing your music?
 
Funny question, I normally don't eat when I am writing because I don't want to get the the guitar or piano messy, but if I did I would have to say it would be pizza.
 
3. Where do you get your ideas for your style of music? 
 
I am a bit of a musical sponge, I absorb all styles of music- country, pop, rock, irish, r&b, folk, dance etc. I use many of those influences and ideas when recording my own material. 
 
4. Why did you start playing music?
 
I had always wanted to write music, who doesn't?  I got the opportunity when a friend asked me to sing my poetry to her piano arrangements.  Once we wrote one song I was completely hooked and knew that I wanted to be a songwriter.  Eventually I started writing my own music as well.
 
5. Where do you see your musicial career going, 10 years from now?
 
10 years from now, I envision having recorded 3 or 4 more records, touring the world and looking back at this time with gratitude that I made the decision to leap for my dreams :)
 
6. What is the wildest thing a fan did for you?
 
I can't say that I have met a fan that wild yet! (haha). 
 
7. What challenges did you have to go through when you were making music on your own?
 
I am an untrained musician.  Early on it was very difficult and intimidating for me to work with trained musicians as I didn't quite understand them and they didn't always quite get where I was coming from musically because I couldn't express it to them. It also makes it hard when producing as well, but I have grown a lot from the process of recording the first record.
 
8. In the album, "The Search" what is your favorite song in this album and where did you get the name from?
 
Right now my favorite song on the record is "Beast". I wrote the song about the character of the Beast in the fairy tale "Beauty and the Beast" as a metaphor for how I was feeling at the time. That is how I came up with the name.
 
9. Being a solo artist, what gives you the drive to continue making music?
 
Music is the only thing I don't seem to get bored with, so it is pretty easy to stay motivated. There is always something different to write about or a different way to tell a story. Every time I write a new song I still revel in that feeling of having written one- it is indescribable.
 
10. What would you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?
 
I guess that I am always thinking about my fans when I write a song.  It is very important to me that I am connecting with people the way that I felt connected to my favorite musicians growing up. It is a wonderful thing to give and receive music- it is a special gift that works both ways :)

No comments:

Post a Comment