Monday, October 31, 2011

Interview with Makari!!!

Here are the members of the band:


Brandon Cullen - Vocals
 
Lindsay England - Piano/Keys
 
Eric Stewart - Guitar
 
Matt Beljan - Guitar
 
John Tomasso- Bass
 
Kevin Beljan - Drums


 Below are their group responses:

1. What inspired you guys to play music?

Most of our parents (or family) played music of some form. It was what we were raised around, its what felt right and comfortable for us. Once you get to a certain level and start playing TOGETHER ,inspiration really seems to vary. Now, it is the followers and supporters who fuel us to take it to the next step and makes us able to share an experience with them (as fans).

2. How has music changed your life?

Music is a driving force in our life and has shaped our circle of friends as well as being a coping mechanism for our emotions. Music is an art and some would say art is one of the most honest ways of expression :)

3. What bands do you guys listen to and how have they shaped your music?

We all listen to different bands. There are certain bands that help us shape our music (such as Circa Survive, Closure in Moscow, Tokyo Police Club, Between The Buried and Me). Different things help us focus on different aspects of music. We even list Johnny Cash and Miles Davis as influential artists.

4. What advice do you guys have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?

Music is not always about making tons of money, and music isn't an easy thing to pursue by any means. Just let your love for making music be your drive and things will happen. Nothing happens overnight and success is not (always) easy.

5. Where did you guys get the idea for the name of your band?

Makari is an archaic Scottish term for "poet."

6. What do you guys want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

We want the fans to know that no matter what we will play just as a hard for a crowd of 5 as 50,000 and that coming out to shows is more important than liking a Facebook or buying a shirt. In an age where everything is digital, dragging your friends out to a show means so much more to us :)

7. What are you guys thinking when you are on stage?

Lindsay: Do I look taller up here?

Brandon:  I worry I look stupid when I do certain movements. I am such a stickler about my looks ,sadly. I just hate thinking that someone is laughing at me and I think I am looking awesome. Also, I hate accidentally getting frazzled and forgetting words to songs.

Eric: Am I swinging my hair TOO much? Or - don't break a string! It sucks breaking a string when you are in the first 5 minutes of your first show on tour (cough).

Matt: When I am on stage I am thinking about what I play next and what song comes next. I also think about Eric Stewart a lot in a completely platonic way and hoping he does not start helicoptering during the next song (haha). I try extremely hard to not pass gas.. :)

John: I mostly try to focus on what we are doing on stage, but I often catch myself paying attention to the crowd. You never know what cool stuff you will see (haha). Oh and of course I think "Damn, Kevin is sweaty" (haha).

Kevin: I'm normally thinking "don't play too fast!" either that or " damn... I'm sweaty... that's hot!" (haha).

A poetic life is full of expression and creativity, which is what Makari is made of. Their creative aspect in their music helps inspire teens and everyone they play to, to live a life that they always wanted to. So go to their shows and tells your friends to check them out on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Makariband

No comments:

Post a Comment