Sunday, October 23, 2011

Interview with Perils Rise!!!

Here are the members of the band:

Tyler Christiansen - Vocals

Kyle Mishk - Guitar

Travis Tompkins - Guitar

Gene Arvisais - Bass/CleanVocals

Tobin Kelleher - Drums

Below are their individual responses to the questions:

1. What inspired you guys to play music?

Tyler: Gene and I had been looking to start a band for a long time and I had just started screaming. We all fell together and it clicked. Personally my inspiration was mainly the lyrical value that many bands bring to the table, it was always something I admired.

Gene: My dad :). He used to fill in for some local acoustic bands, but was more a solo performance. I am in a band and it is pretty sweet.

Kyle: Ever since I picked up a guitar as a 13 year old and I always wanted to start a band. I searched and jammed with countless musicians and nothing really felt comfortable for me until I met Travis, who introduced me to the rest of the guys. We all got along great and are still together today.

Tobin: I remember explaining to my father about all of the doubt that I had about finding a band. Coming from a small town, I never had much luck finding other musicians. My father kept my hopes up. Every chance he got, he express his belief in me. I finally found a band that I belong to.

2. How has music changed your life?

Tyler: Writing the lyrics to our songs helps my feelings come out and it allows me to get my voice heard to the public. I know none of us are doing this for that attention, but it is really nice when someone approaches us and tells us how much they love our stuff. Words can't scratch the surface when it comes to how much that means to me. I love my fans <3!!!

Gene: I am in a band and it is pretty sweet. It has changed my whole life, for the better. :)

Kyle: Music is like my lifeline. I would be a completely different person without it. It is still shaping me as a person everyday and I mature from it.

Travis: Music has always been my life. If it was gone, then my life would be changed.

Tobin: I am in a band and I won homecoming king (haha).

3. What bands do you guys listen to and how have they shaped your music?
Tyler: I am a big The Devil Wears Prada fan. Vocally: Mike Hranica and Austin Carlile have a big impact on my sound. Lyrically: Keith Buckley of Every Time I Die is definitely my main source of inspiration. The man is clearly a genius and I try to be as great as him. As a whole, we just write what we think sounds good :)

Gene: Oh man :), so many: ETID, TDWP, MMF (haha) just to name but a few. I would like to think we have our own style of music, but we are definitely mostly influenced by MMF.

Kyle:  My favorite bands when I was growing up were: The Deftones, System of a Down, Korn, Slipknot, and Funeral for a Friend. These days I am heavily influenced by TDWP, Our Last Night, WCAR, AA, Blessthefall, and of course Memphis May Fire.., just to name a few (haha).

Travis: Anything from Pantera to Jerry Reed and Glenn Miller of course. Everything I play is just a big collaboration of everything I listen to.

Tobin: My style of play is loosely based off the late Jimmy Sullivan, formerly of Avenged Sevenfold. People make fun of me for that sometimes because I listen to A7X, but they are always the same people that compliment me on my play. They are silly people, but I still love them.

4. What advice do you guys have for others that want to pursue in music as a career?

Tyler: Persevere, Persevere. (Hahaha). But seriously keep at it!!!. Nothing comes easy in life.

Gene:  Do it. Just do it, there is not much more to say. The community behind fresh bands is awesome.
Kyle: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I used to practice EVERYDAY at least 3 hours a day, wish I still had time like that. (haha)...but seriously, never give up on a dream.

Travis: Keep on keepin on!!!. It's not easy, but it can pay off big time in the end :)

Tobin:  Follow your dreams (haha cliche). But seriously, do that. It has worked well for me so far.

5. Where did you guys get the idea for the name of your band?

Our name is actually part of a line of a The Devil Wears Prada song, Sassafrass. The dictionary defines perils as "the dangers or difficulties that arise from a particular situation or activity". We took a lot of risks putting our all into the band and suffered many difficulties along the way, but we are still here. It seemed fitting to what we were going through and still are today.

6. What do you guys want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

We are all nuts and entirely insane (haha). We host occasional duck walk races. Contrary to popular belief, we are ALL straight. Not that there is anything wrong with being gay :)

7. What do you guys think about when you are on stage?

Tyler: People have asked me this before, and I don't really have an answer for it. I'm not thinking of anything. Definitely the best feeling in the world :)

Gene: My hunger for french onion soup. Some one please bring me some :) Love you forever if you do <3

Kyle:  I never really thought about it. I know it's difficult to explain...It's total euphoria. I love to see people moving. I can not explain what it is like to create music and watch people go totally insane over it. I am just thinking, I love this feeling.

Travis: On stage, all I think about is jammin out, having a good time and entertaining those who came to see us.

Tobin: My mouth becomes very dry when I am on stage. Besides putting on the best show possible, the only thing I think of is water :).

Want to listen to something that has meaning and makes you happy every time you listen, then listen to Perils Rise. They make music because to them that is all they see doing in their life and so if you love music, then check them out?

No comments:

Post a Comment