Sunday, April 1, 2012

Interview with Candlebox!!!

Band: Candlebox
Genre: Rock

Hometown: Seattle, Washington

Here are the members of the band:

Kevin Martin
 
Peter Klett
Scott Mercado
Adam Kury
Sean Hennesy


Kevin Martin is representing the band because he is answering the questions for the band:

1. What inspired you guys to play music?

For me, I would have to say it was the first time I heard a drummer play live in grade school. I was playing french horn at the time, but it was at that moment that I knew I was geared for something else. Something louder and way more aggressive than Bach or Mozart. The bang crash boom of that kit rocked my world and I knew I had to play them. It was then that I started paying attention to Rush & Aerosmith & The Clash and all sorts of bands, trying to understand what it was about drums that I was so attracted to and them. At the age of 14, I found Bonham and that was it! I was sure I was going to be a drummer in a band someday…bummer that I am a singer!
2. How has music changed your life?
It consumes me every day, I wake to it and go to sleep to it. I could not imagine what life would be like without it. Music has saved me from certain death several times, I am sure and for that I am so grateful.
3. What band is your favorite and how are they incorporated in your music?

That is a tough question, I don't really have a favorite band. I love Led Zeppelin, The Clash, Bob Marley, ACDC etc. and all have found their way into my song writing in one way or the other. Generally its "how would so and so do this" or "what's that progression and why does it work so well in that context" that I ask myself. I try to understand their musical influence on me rather than how to incorporate it into my songs.

4. What aspects of your music are you guys trying to change and if not, what are you trying to better?

We are trying to be more prolific and what I mean by that is that we tend to meander around writing songs, rather than producing an abundance of them to choose from.

5. What outrageous fan stories have you had to experience?

Mostly about how many times they've gotten laid to "far behind," I mean I understand that it happens I just don't need to know how many times!

6. If you guys could describe your band in one word what would it be and why?
Honest: We have never tried to deny the type of music we create and we have never tried to be anyone other than Candlebox. We make the music we make without expectations or fears of acceptance.

7. If you guys could ask your fans any question, what would it be and why?

What size shirt do you wear because we have the coolest merch!

8. How did you guys meet?

Through a circle of friends in Seattle, I met Scott at my 16th birthday party. He came with someone I couldn't stand, I should have known then that there were gonna be problems! Ha!
9. Where did you guys get the idea for the name of your band?

It came from a Midnight Oil lyric in a song called "Tin Legs & Tin Mines" I liked the imagery, so we thought we would use it for a while and of course it stuck!

10. What do you get your inspiration from for the music you play?

I am inspired by everything around me, I pull from all directions and try to focus in on one thing to write about. Songs are everywhere you just gotta recognize them when they show themselves to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment