Monday, April 16, 2012

Interview with TJ Courtney!!!

I had the pleasure and opportunity to interview: TJ Courtney. A rocker that is not only talented, but will make the ladies nervous just by looking at him for a few seconds. A man that wants to change the world with his music and gives 100% to his music. TJ’s EP is mind blowing and music video: One Day will change the way you look at the world. So take the time to listen to both and be a fan because you will not regret it : ).

1. What messages are you trying to convey with your EP and "One Day" music video?

Most of the EP is an expression of angst and anxiety, but it depicts a winning battle. The darkness and conflict turn to hopeful resolutions. I have been ridden with anxiety and depression my whole life and now that I have a positive outlook on dealing with it; I am trying to write songs that other people can relate to and help them express what they are going through and keep the outlook positive. We are products of a complex environment, so it is not always obvious why we feel a certain way or why certain things dig at us. Songwriting for me is the process I use to try and figure some of that out. Sometimes I don’t fully understand my own lyrics until months after I have written them, but I knew at the time I wrote them they were important. Expression is so important, whether it is creating something yourself or relating to a great story/song.

As for One Day, that is all about our impact on the environment and how the momentum of institutions is still moving in the same direction. James Cameron said it well, “The world is the Titanic and climate change is the iceberg – we are headed right for it.” I am paraphrasing of course. The song touches on that theme and as a broader stroke, the idea that anything that seems permanent can be torn out from under us.

2. What inspired you to play music?

I was sort of inexplicably drawn to drums as a kid. My mom says I was obsessed with drum sticks when I was 3 years old, obsessed with the idea of owning “a real set of drum sticks.” By the time I was 9, I was fully into playing drums. I am not sure why I chose that. When I was about 12 or 13, I started to really connect to music and I was obsessed with music videos, plus would watch MTV for hours after school. Those were the days when I started dreaming about being a singer and writing songs.

3. How has music changed your life?

Almost every way possible!!! For starters, it has helped me through every breakup, death, tragedy, and just plain bad day. It is just as important on the good days. I am always amazed at how certain songs can take you back to an exact moment, feeling, or memory. Being a musician has changed my path in life 100%. I was an A student in high school and had great test scores…etc, but after graduation I moved to LA with my band and I did not attend college. I still only have half a degree to this day because every chance I get to tour, or otherwise be involved full-time with music I can’t resist.

4. As a musician, how do you see the world with a musical lens?

Well, I can’t help but make beats when I do anything, like walking or chewing. I look for songwriting inspiration everywhere, all the time.


5. If you could change the world by one action, what would it be?

At this current moment it would be to arrest Trayvon Martin’s killer. I am not close enough to the situation to know whether or not Zimmerman did it for sure, but you have got to arrest the guy.


6. What would you tell your fans if you could ask them any question?
I would ask them: how they got so damn good looking? ; )

7. What outrageous fan stories do you have?

There was this one fan that used to draw pictures of me at almost every show and send them to me online. They were really good, but I tried talking to her at one show and she just sort of ran away.

No comments:

Post a Comment