Saturday, November 12, 2011

Interview with Jonathon Dolan (Bass/Vocals) of Handed to the Thousands!!!

Here are the members of the band:

Oliver Torres: Vocals/Lyrics

Nick Kuzevski: Guitar

Ryan Miller: Guitar

Jon Dolan: Bass/Vocals

Nick Galluccio: Drums


Jonathan Dolan is answering the questions for the band:

1. What inspired you to play music?

We have all been inspired by different artists and bands throughout our youth to create music. One of the first concerts that a few of us went to was Taste of Chaos in 2005, when we were about 13 years old. My Chemical Romance, The Used, Saosin, Killswitch Engage, Underoath and many other bands that we loved at the time played and really opened our eyes to what this kind of music was about. Seeing how bands impact peoples lives in such a positive way made us really want to create something that could do the same for others. Music is such a powerful tool!

2. How has music changed your life?

When I was about 15, I decided that I wanted to join the marines and take part in the war after the tragic events on 9/11. I was completely set on devoting my life to that cause, until Nick Kuzevski, a founding member and guitarist told me he was starting a band. They were looking for a bassist. After some thinking, I decided to pick up the bass guitar. After a while of practicing, I attending my first practice with him and a friend, and the rest is history. Music is something that I can not imagine living without. It is everything to me!! Whether I am playing it myself or just listening to it with some friends, it is my greatest passion.

3. What bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?

All of us listen to different styles. We love everything from Rap and Indie to Metal. Some of our favorites throughout the years include: August Burns Red, Architects, For Today, As Cities Burn, Oceana, Taking Back Sunday, and Underoath. Obviously, after listening to bands like these you naturally draw influences in what you are writing, but we try to keep everything as original as possible. There are too many bands to list that have inspired us as musicians!

4. What advice do you have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?

Never give up, and DO NOT let hurtful words stop you from growing as a musician. One of the hardest things to do in the music industry, especially in a band, is to find committed members and get things off the ground. Some of us have been playing music together for years and have gone through constant member changes until finally finding a solid lineup that we have today. Don't let small shows with low attendance get you down. Write music for yourself and stick to what you truly love. At the end of the day, you should be doing this for yourself and if you do nothing in the world could possibly make you happier.

5. Where did you get the idea for the name of your band?

Before the disbanding of an older band, our vocalist Oliver Torres came into practice with a few band names. A few that I can recall are 'From This Day Forth' and 'Between the Solace and Astray'.. and a bunch of other corny ones. We ended up picking Handed To The Thousands. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first because I felt it was too long, but it has grown on me. I like to let people try and guess what our name is about, so that they can give it their own definition.

6. What do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

We want our fans, present and future, to know that we appreciate every single person who has ever attended a show, listened to our music, bought merch or shared our music with someone! Without fans and the support of friends and strangers alike, we would not be here today. We are a band that loves to interact with our fans both at shows and online. Please come out to a show and hangout with us, we look forward to meeting you! If you have not heard already, you can download our EP "Rest for the Wavering" for FREE Via Facebook.

7. What are you thinking when you are on stage?

- Nick Gallucio: "On stage, I think about how much of a blessing it is that God has given me the opportunity to glorify His name through music."

-Ryan Miller: "HAAAGEN!"

-Jonathan Dolan: "I think about how blessed I am to be able to do what I love and how I wouldn't rather be anywhere, but here playing music. It is a feeling like no other. Shaking me head around like a maniac and singing my heart out is not surprisingly the best thing ever."

- Nick Kuzevski: "When I am on stage all I can think about is how excited I am to be playing our music and hoping that everyone enjoys what our music is all about!"

-Oliver Torres: "How happy I am that I am given the opportunity to play music with my best friends and jump around exerting so much energy! We are so lucky."

Handed to the Thousands is a band that wants to get to know every single one of their fans and so all you have to do is check out their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/htttmusic?sk=info and listen to their EP, you will truly love it I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment