Friday, September 2, 2011

Interview with We Brought The Matches!!!

Here are the members of the band:


Michael Kegl: Lead Vocals

John Clement: Bass

Dustin Burrell: Guitar

Devin Murphy: Guitar/Keyboard
 
Jack Geshel: Drums
 
 
Here are the questions I asked each band member and below are their individual responses:

Dustin Burrell (Guitar):
1. What inspired you to play music?

What really got me into music was seeing our drummer's uncle and his band play in there little place they practiced. Seeing them play and how much fun they had really made me want too live like that and play music for people everywhere.

2. How has music changed your life?

Before music, I don’t think I had many ideas of what I wanted to do when I got older. After getting into music, it has opened up a lot of opportunities and goals I can now go towards. Music has definitely changed my life for the better.

3. What bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?

I listen to a good variety of music and it has really changed the way I have played. The music I listen too can range from super hardcore bands like “Born of Osiris” too stuff that is out there like “Cage the Elephant". It has shaped our music because all of us I think have different styles and bands we listen too, so with that we have combined what we know into the genre we have now.

4. What advice would you give people that want to pursue music as their career?

The advice I would like to give is just keep going at it, no matter what anyone says. Always follow your dreams and don’t stop because you CAN get there and be what you want too be. It will take a lot of time and effort, but if you play your cards right you will get there.

5.  (Group response) : Where did you guys get the idea for the name of your band?

To be honest we all just kinda picked band names and we thought that "We Brought the Matches" sounded the best :)

6.  What do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

Well when I first started playing guitar, it was when guitar hero came out. I played guitar left handed and when I played guitar hero for the first time I did not know there was a lefty switch, so it made me switch to play guitar right handed. So now I can actually somewhat play left handed (haha).

7. What do you think when you are on stage?

A lot of cars (haha). Actually before I get on stage I am usually really excited and I just get this HUGE rush too where I just want to get up there and do what we do!!!


Michael Kegl (Lead Vocals):
1. What inspired you to play music?

When I was 8 my dad took me to Sam goodies and told me to pick out a guitar, so I got a black epiphone and an amp. After I got home, I was stoked to play but shortly after my mom took away my amp. After that I just wanted to play and I guess that urge carried on through my life (haha).

2. How has music changed your life?

After I joined my first band I felt like I had found my calling in life and it has given me a reason to live.

3. What bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?

The bands that have really shaped how I play are: adtr, fall out boy, the ramones, sex pistols, and weezer.

4. What advice do you have for others that want to pursue music as their career?

 Every chance you get to play take it even if it is a small show, just get your stuff out there you know!!!

5. See Dustin's Response for this question because it was a group response!!!

6. What do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

I am not a dick!!! (haha)

7. What do you think about when you are on stage?

Nothing usually races in my mind right before I play. I try to get in a state of nirvana :)


Devin Murphy (Guitar/Keyboard):

1. What inspired you to play music?

One 4th of July weekend several years back, me and my dad went up to New York to his friends house and there was this huge party and 10 different bands played, they were all awesome. Seeing all of them perform and how their energy just made the crowd go wild really inspired me to want to play!!!

2. How has music shaped your life?

Music occupies the majority of my free time, whether it be listening to it or playing it and it is always there.

3. What bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?

Extreme, Avenged Sevenfold, John Mayer, My Chemical Romance, Queen, and We The Kings. It is a weird combination of artists, but all of them have influenced me in how and what I play.

4. What advice do you have for bands that want to pursue music as their career?

Nothings gonna happen like magic, if you want it you gotta work for it. Do what you love and love what you do.

5. See Dustin's Response for this question because it was a group response!!!

6. What do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

Even though I mainly play the guitar in WBTM, I am actually much more adept as a piano player!!!

7. What is going through your mind when you are on stage?

Usually a bit nervous at first, but after the first minute or so into it I get really pumped up and it is an awesome feeling :)


John Clement (Bass):
1. What inspired you to play music?

More then anything my main inspiration for playing music was my best friend: Dustin. We would always hangout and do things together because we wanted to start a band together. I did not know how to play anything really, except a few years back. I started learning to play bass, but never had any motivation until I met him.

2. How has music changed your life?

Music has changed my life in that before I started playing I did not really know what I wanted to do with my life and after we started this band I knew I wanted music to be a major part of my everyday life :)

3. What bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?

Some of the bands that shaped my music playing is probably: A Day To Remember, Set Your Goals, and The Kooks, being that they are all different genres of music that I enjoy listening to, plus I try to incorporate there playing styles into our music.

4. What advice do you have for others that want to pursue in music?

The advice I have would be to take in the bad things you hear and work on them, in order to get better. I have not been playing all that long and when I hear someone say something bad I take it in as a challenge, by trying to make myself better :)

5. See Dustin's Response for this question because it was a group response!!!

6. What do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

Something my fans probably don't know about me is that I am Straight Edge, which is a life choice where you don't do use any form of tobacco, you never drink any alcohol and you never do any sort of drugs.

7. What do you think about when you are on stage?

Before I go on stage, I always get a little nervous and hope I don't mess up. As soon as I get up there and we start playing I just feel the music and let all my worries go away!!!


Jack Geshel (Drums):

1. What inspired you to play music?

Sand people (haha)

2. How has music changed your life?

It has made me what to live :)

3. What bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?

Everything from jazz to hardcore and it has given me a unique quality in my music.

4. What advice do you have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?

Stick to it!

5. See Dustin's Response for this question because it was a group response!!!

6. What do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

I saved floppy gooses with a red crayon (haha).

7. What is racing your mind before you go on stage?

Have fun don't mess up (hahaha)

We Brought The Matches is a band that knows whats up and bring the party to every show they play in. If you go to a show and it is lame because We Brought The Matches is not there. So go like their page on facebook and request them to play at your brithday party because you knw it will be a good time if they are there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment