Monday, December 12, 2011

Interview with Carry On Crows!!!

Here are the members of the band:

Etienne Antoine Tabib-Lead Guitar

Nicholas Rettino-Rhythm Guitar
Matthew Morin-Bass
Daniel Lloyd-Vocals
Aaron Loveday-Drums
 
Their genre of music: Hardcore/Metal
 
Below are their group responses:
 
1. What inspired you guys to play music?

The best answer we can give to that is: Music. Listening to other bands saying what they have to say, playing their own genre and putting their message to the public made us want to be like them. We are always jealous of the ones on stage when we go to a concert we often think : 'That could be me!'

2. How has music changed your life?

It gave every single one of us confidence. Without the music and the band, there is a huge empty hole in our lives. Being able to tell others ' Hey dude! Check my band out!' is one of the best feelings you can get (along with being on stage and listening to your songs).

3. What bands do you guys listen to and how have they shaped your music?

We listen to a whole bunch of stuff it is ridiculous! We like so many different genres! We can go from Get Scared to Born of Osiris and then go back to City and Colour (haha)! Some of our favorites would be The Devil Wears Prada, Oh Sleeper, Underoath, Born of Osiris, Trivium...this list could go on forever! For bands shaping our music: we do not really have any band that we can call an influence cause we really try to be our own thing even though it is extremely hard to. I mean, there is only twelve notes in music! Without noticing it we would sometimes write something and then days, weeks, months after we would notice it sounds like that part of this song and this happens to pretty much every band out there. You are what you listen to!

4. What advice do you guys have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?

First thing we would like to say is: Never drop out of high school! If you screw up in your musical career and have dropped out of school. Well you can't go back and have a good academic education. Moving on, everyone says the music industry is all about luck. That's not exactly it, you make your own luck! Reaching out and getting contacts is the only way to make it in the industry. You can't always play music in your basement and expect that somehow you will magically get a show or a tour! You are the one who has to find and talk to the people, who can help you make it out there. You make your own luck. One last tip: Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

5. Where did you guys get the idea for the name of your band?

There are two stories to this:
First one is we found it would be a really sick name because the name itself is a word puzzle! Carrion (meaning carcass of a dead animal), is what crows feed on. We thought it would be cool for the band name to Carrion Crows cause it was Dark, but then our bassist Matt realized we could make a really cool word puzzle by putting Carry On Crows instead of Carrion Crows.

A few months later, we were watching a movie called 'The Crow'. The oppening scene from this movie starts with a little girl talking and she says 'People used to believe that when someone dies, a crow carries their soul to the land of the dead.' We thought that we could relate this to our band name. Pretty cool, right?

6. What do you guys want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

Get ready for this! When our lead guitarist Etienne joined the band, he was only 14 years old! He is 15 now, not that it makes that much of a difference. That is still a shock to most people. For the rest there is nothing to hide. We are five best friends doing what we love to do most together.

7. What are you guys thinking when you are on stage?

Daniel Lloyd (Vocals) :

"Lyrics!!" (haha) making sure I am singing/screaming the right thing at the right time. Ah, when you know your songs quite well, it comes naturally. I basically get into an aggressive state of mind to get the most emotion out when I scream

Etienne 'ET' Tabib (Lead Guitar):

"The World is Mine." (haha). It is hard to really think about much when your on stage, there is so much going on! Lights in your face, people smiling at you and taking pictures and of course playing your music. On stage, I just try to be as awesome as i can!

Aaron Loveday (Drums):

Getting on stage I think about everything I have to do, like the way I act, the way I play and it makes me nervous. About 2 minutes into playing on stage I forget all this and unleash what I was born to do, my real passion, my joy: playing the drums.

Matthew Morin (Bass): 
When I step on the stage, the nerves are at their highest, but once the house lights go off and the stage lights get turned on they all go away. As soon as the first note is played I forget about them and just focus on playing music and having fun, plus putting on a good show. It is nice to see everyone in the crowd have a good time along with us.

Nicholas Rettino (Rythm Guitar):

Well I think about what I need to be playing and a lot of other things too, but the most important is that I just try and focus on having fun. I feel that the biggest possible way you can get the crowd into the music you are playing is by having fun and trying to get them to have fun. If I can accomplish that on stage for every show I play I will feel like I have done my job and that to me is what really matters.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment