Monday, December 12, 2011

Interview with Tolan Shaw!!!

Tolan Shaw is doing a solo project and is a (acoustic/pop/rock) musician from San Diego, CA. Also, Danny Rubenstein has helped write and preform the new tunes from time to time in order to help Tolan Shaw. I want to give him as much support as I can. So I thought to myself to see what would be the best way of doing that and I felt like interviewing him would really capture who he is as a musician.

Here is a facebook link to his music page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tolan-Shaw-Music/218921591453559?ref=ts&sk=app_178091127385#!/pages/Tolan-Shaw-Music/218921591453559

A link to his music: http://www.myspace.com/thenewarchaicmusic

Below are his responses to my questions I made specifically for him:

1. What inspired you to play music?
I did the usual routine as a youngun. Took the typical 2 years of piano when I was 10 and I rejected it because it was not 'cool' enough. My dad has played in cover rock bands for my whole life and I have always gone to shows and danced. I had an interest in music or at least rock music. The defining moment was freshman year of high school when my dad finally played Jimi Hendrix's 'Are You Experienced?' (album) for me. I remember sitting down and listening to the entire album straight through and thinking "I HAVE to play electric guitar". After I began, it was like a whole new dimension of life opened up and it became SO much more than a medium to 'look cool'. A way to channel the creativity that I had always had, but did not know how to harness. So, Jimi Hendrix was the key.
2. How has music changed your life?
The introduction of guitar to my life became a way for creativity to flow. After picking up the basics of theory, chords, etc, and learning cover songs, I began to mess around and write music. Today is the number one most important thing to me in life (song writing). I get a thrill out of it unlike anything else. I find myself losing hours and hours thinking about absorbing myself in songwriting. Often to the despair of my girlfriend and mom, who get quite annoyed at times with my lack of focus (on conversation, etc.), I am really just creating constantly, whether it be with a guitar in hand or just in my mind. Also, I have never been a technical or theoretical musician. As much as I would love to learn everything about theory that there is to know, I am much more about the ear, the feel, and the creative side of music. For me, listening to a song and learning it by ear is FAR easier and quicker than reading notation or tabs. So I spend a lot of time listening, learning, and analyzing music as well-- 3, 4, and 5 part vocal harmony. It is based on the 'musical ear' has been my latest obsession. I hope to incorporate a lot of that in my upcoming album.
Music, honestly has almost become something equally as spiritual as entertaining. It is the best thing ever!
3. What bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?
Ooooh that is an extremely tough question :) I have gone through so many phases and obsessions since, I started really listening (analyzing) music. All of those bands contribute a certain amount to my 'style' now. For instance, Jimi Hendrix and all the classic 60s and 70s bands that my dad introduced me to really created the passion for electric guitar and just raw electric rock. Bands like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Cream, The Doors, Creedence, Janis Joplin. All the classic rock bands that everyone thinks of. I also got really into guitar shredders like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and John Petrucci (Dream Theater). Though I don't really listen to them at all, I still return to them for inspiration once in awhile and some good ole shredding. Then I really got into acoustic music and more mellow songwriting, as well as vocal harmonies, and simultaneously I began an obsession with old soul music. Guys like: Sam Cook, James Brown, Smokie Robinson, among many others. The current 'stage' I am in is kind of this mix between bluesy-soul past and new rock/alternative/indie bands that use a lot of vocal harmony. Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, The Black Keys (not much vocal harmony, but badass band), Band of Horses, Bon Iver, Good Old War, to name a few.
My music now is kind of a weird mix between those newest influences and my songwriting consists of two sort of distinct styles; the soul/blues songs and the singer/songwriter acoustic tunes that many times are written for vocal harmony.
4. What advice do you have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?
Well, I am not sure that I should necessarily be one to give out advice quite yet. I am definitely going to pursue music and songwriting as a career, but have by no means 'made it' at all as a musician. But with that said, I think if you want to pursue a career in music, the goal can't be to 'pursue a career in music.' I think the passion, the excitement of creating new songs, and the overwhelming sense of 'being in the moment' while playing music will speak for itself. In other words, if you truly want music to happen for you, just do what you love, don't let other people's words and criticisms have any effect on your art. Also, don't take events that come (good and bad) extremely seriously. Granted, there needs to be good music and a substantial amount of effort and self-promotion to 'get out there,' but if it is done genuinely and with the purpose to simply do what you love, it will more likely happen.
5. What do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?
Hmmmm... I am currently on a 7 month song-writing journey through Central and South America. Traveling is my number one biggest inspiration for song-writing! I and I am sure most people find it the most spiritually and sense-stimulating thing there is. I have written close to 15 songs after 5 months, many of which will appear on my next recordings.
6. What are you thinking when you are on stage?


'Wow, that girl is insanely cute..' (haha).
No, When I first get on stage, whether it is in front of 3 or 1000 people there are always nerves and petty little self conscious thoughts that are unavoidable for me. But after the first song, all thoughts literally cease. I think that right there is when I know that music is what I was made for. Everything else does not matter and nothing passes through my head other than maybe what to say to the crowd in between songs, but really, when thoughts cease on stage... that is music.



No comments:

Post a Comment