Monday, December 19, 2011

Interview with Jonathon Wolfe (Vocals) of In Vertigo!!!

Here are the members of the band:


Jonathan Wolfe - Vocals


Adam Hayman - Guitar


Mark Ryan - Guitar


William Hathaway - Bass


Cooper Campbell - Drums / Vocals


Band: In Vertigo
Genre: Post-Hardcore/Rock/Experimental
Hometown: Los Angeles, California



Below are his responses:


1. What inspired you to play music?
To this day, it is an answer I have always had trouble asking myself. Ever since I was a child, I was always drawn towards musical instruments. I remember playing with pianos and toy guitars at the ages of three and four and over the years it has evolved into what my life has become. It is odd no one in my family is an actual musician, so it came to everyone as a surprise how drawn to it I had become over the years. When it comes down to it, I guess the feeling that knowing how it affects others is what inspired me to play music. That natural high you feel on stage is just a beautiful and magnificent feeling.


2. How has music changed your life?


It basically has become my life. Music inspired me to leave everything I had behind on the East Coast
and move to a new city across the country completely alone to follow my dreams. Music is the one thing
that keeps me afloat these days and even in the darkest of times, helps me prevail through anything life has thrown at me.


3. What bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?
When it comes to bands in similar genres, I listen to many bands from 1998 to 2008 with a few exceptions of newer bands or releases that have blown me away. I grew up listening to bands like Poison The Well, Glassjaw, As Cities Burn, Misery Signals, Acceptance, Terminal, Circa Survive, Beloved, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Hopesfall, Hot Cross and so many other bands that really have shaped my musicianship in the most interesting of ways. If it were not for these bands, I would not have learned how to portray certain emotions in certain ways and my writing style would not be the same way.

4. What advice do you guys have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?


It is quite simple:


1. Don't pursue this unless you have a relentless passion for it. Do music for the right reasons and you WILL prevail. There are so many fish in the sea, it's not as easy and as glorious as it seems. Being a musician takes a huge toll on you in every way. You are hardly home, always away from your loved ones, constantly broke, sleeping on floors and etc. If you are not loving what you're doing, you will end up unhappy.


2. Write something different, don't try to be like every band that is out there. You will only get lost in the waves of sound. Be exceptional, be unique, be a REAL musician.


5. Where did you get the idea for the name of your band?
We tried finding a collection of words that would relate towards the theme of this first CD we are releasing.
A sense of losing balance, confusion, and being lost. The word "Vertigo" seemed to ring prominently.
I believe that we as human beings in life on our lives in constant Vertigo. We are all trying to find our way in life, we lose our balance, we become confused, and we are all constantly searching for direction.


6. What do you guys want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?
Something extremely important which we want everyone to understand. As more songs become available to the public, you will notice many references to God in our lyrics. You may begin to ask "Is In Vertigo a Christian Band?" and I would like to answer everyone now and say, no. I am personally a believer in Jesus Christ, but these lyrics do not reflect the band in general. There are "Christians" in the band, but we are not a "Christian Band". I sing about what's closest to my heart and my relationship with Christ is one of those things,
but there is so much more depth to it all than just that. As you read the lyrics you will realize and understand how anyone of any faith or religious preference can relate to these lyrics in both a Secular and Non-Secular way.

7. What are you thinking when you guys are on stage?

William Hathaway (Bass):
 What I think about when I go onstage is nothing, to be completely honest. 
My mind is clear and focused on the performance. I am not saying that I just go onstage and say, 
"Screw it, whatever happens happens." it is more of an out of body experience and I am just watching the show.


Mark Ryan (Guitar):
On stage, I am always thinking to myself, 
"what is the best possible way I can convey, through my movement, the surge of emotions that I feel", 
as well as the always prevalent reminder of, "don't mess up, don't mess up, PLEASE don't mess up".

Adam Hayman (Guitar):
When I am on stage, I am thinking about the energy of the crowd and the energy maintained within the band and myself. When the crowd is super stoked, it gives us this extra surge of energy which translates into our performance. My mind stays fixed towards the crowds reaction and how I can continue to build up their excitement. At the same time I make sure to keep my ears fixed on the drums at all times
in order to maintain and keep time on the proper rhythm. So that our performance is not only exciting, but as close to perfect as possible.
Jonathan Wolfe (Vocals):
So many thoughts run through my head. I try to make my performance as spot on and as a fun as possible. 
I am constantly looking around to see the expressions on other people's faces and that inspires me in those very moments to do something that will catch everyone by surprise and hopefully inspire someone the same way artists made me inspired performing live. Whether it is me stage diving or hanging off of something and being as crazy as possible.
Cooper Campbell (Drums):
I feel a constant reminder of how fortunate I am to be doing what I love.

8. Which song that you guys created is your favorite and why?
Out of all the songs on this EP, my favorite is a song called "Foreign Body". It's a short song, not even 3 minutes long. It serves as an interlude to our single "I Was Once A Sinking Ship"
I love this song because it is so different from everything else on that CD. It is the only song on our set so far where there are three guitars on stage and so much emotion is put into two minutes and thirty seconds. It is a softer song that grows in intensity as the story carries on and you can hear how the emotion rises in intensity as the song moves towards the resolve. It is also the newest song we wrote on that CD.



Now, we have a newer list of songs that we have written and I love them all to death. I cannot wait to share those with you. ;D

Want to know what the band thinks of the fans, when they are jamming on stage? Well if you take 5 minutes out of your life to read this interview you will find the answers very clearly.

Can't stop dreaming of this band at night, no worries because here is a link to connect with the band members on a personal level:
http://www.invertigomusic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment