Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Interview with Hance Alligood (Vocalist) for Oh, Manhattan

Here are the questions I asked him:
1. what inspired you to play music?
2. how has music changed your life?
3. what bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?
4. what advice do you have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?
5. where did you get the idea for the name of your band?
6. what do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?
7. what is racing your mind before you go on stage?
Here is how he answered:

1. Basically music has been my passion my entire life. My dad is an amazing tenor singer, my grandpa also sang, and my grandmother played piano. So as I got older and experienced the amazing world of music, my eyes were opened and I knew this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

2. Music has impacted my life in many positive ways. I'm very serious when I say that I could be in jail or worse had it not been for music. When I was 14 I started playing in local bands around the metro-Atlanta area and I think it's really what saved me from going insane. I've always struggled with anxiety and depression and music has always seemed to keep me calm in my darkest moments. Whether it be through listening to a record, writing, or performing.. Music is like my drug.

3. When I was 13 or 14 I was introduced to bands like Underoath, Brand New, Glassjaw.. Definitely something different from the mainstream alt-rock, country, and rap that seemed to have complete control over the kids I hung out with. I'd say Spencer Chamberlain of Underoath is one of my biggest influences, as a lyricist and vocalist.

4. It's very tough to make a living playing music. It's taken me 5 years to get where I am. We got signed last year, have a full length record on the way, have gone on tour - and I'm still looking for jobs in between. But I continue because I love it. I can't see myself doing anything else. If you feel the same way, then follow your dream. But just know pursuing music as a career (especially as an independent band/artist) can be very challenging. For me it's worth the challenge.

5. Oh, Manhattan was derived from The Manhattan Project, which was the first attempt at creating the Atomic bomb in World War II. Our lyrical content is somewhat politically driven (subliminally), so the name definitely fits the music that we play.

6. We are all pretty young - none of us are over the age of 25. We don't care if we get famous or get rich playing music. We just want to write and release songs that have a purpose, a meaning, a message.. Music for the thinking man. We want people to read our lyrics and their thoughts and minds be provoked. But most importantly we want to connect on a personal level. We're doing this because we love it, and we want to make as many friends as possible along the way. We're all nice guys, haha.

7. Before I go on stage, I'm really in sort of a meditative state. I get really quiet. But on the inside, I'm raging with energy and preparing to completely let myself go on stage. I think about what has happened the past week, that day, whatever.. anything that's bothering me, anything positive.. and I express how I feel about that on stage and through our music. That's what I think about before stepping on stage.

:]
 
I think everyone should check out the band Oh, Manhattan because their music will blow your mind. I listened to one song and I am hooked for life. I can't stop listening to their music and you won't want to stop!!!

4 comments:

  1. N . Transmissions generally is a Tunes Site begun with regards to Tunes Addicts, simply by Tunes Addicts. Every one of us functionality job interview, Disc and in addition Are living Evaluations by today’s quite a few influential self-sufficient Musicians and in addition Performers.
    Bands Interviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. N. Transmissions is a Tunes Site began concerning Tunes Junkies, through Tunes Junkies. Most of us all efficiency meeting, Disk as well as Live Critiques by simply today’s numerous important self-sufficient Musicians as well as Performers.
    Bands Interviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. N. Transmissions generally is a Music Site commenced in relation to Music Addicts, through Music Addicts. Most of us all functionality appointment, Cd and likewise You live Evaluations by means of today’s many influential self-sufficient Musicians and likewise Artists.
    Bands Interviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome as a result inspirational. Weeping will be in my, personalized awareness considering this type of reliable people. Cheers, created for expressing the particular knowledge to produce of which awesome sequence.
    Bands Interviews

    ReplyDelete