Friday, April 8, 2011

Interview with Joe Lierman (Bass/Backup Vocals) and Colter Cuthbertson (Drums) for Watership Down

Here are the questions I asked Joe and his answers are below the questions:

1. What inspired you to play music?

Growing up I always remember my dad playing acoustic guitar and singing at all our family functions. My parents were divorced when I was really young. I didnt get to see my father that much, so when he would pick me up we had a long drive to his place about 4-5 hours and we would sing together in the car. I grew up with a really strong musical background my parents both listened to alot of rock and roll. My dad introduced me to grunge and metal. My dad bought me my first guitar when I was 10 and ever since then I would play a minimum of 4 hours a day. So basically my dad inspired me to play music.

2. How has music changed your life?

I believe music defines me because if I did not have music in my life I would not have anything to live for. My daily routine is wake up get ready for work throw on the ipod and sing along to my favorite bands on my way to work. Music is the best way to artistically express myself in life and I want to share it with the world. I believe music makes everything in life more enjoyable and without music life would never be complete. Music has changed my life in more ways than one because my taste in music has changed over the years. I will always respect my musical roots and it has helped me through all the hard times in my life.

3. What bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?

Many of the bands I listen to directly affect the music I play. I gather all the best traits from bands and try to incorporate them in my own music. I always say a singer can make or break a band, so I tend to listen to a lot of bands with a strong vocalist such as emarosa, isles and glaciers, in fear and faith, circa survive, of mice and men etc. I like bands that have a really polished and perfected sound, but they have to be able to pull it off as if it sounded like it was right off the album, while being even better.

4. What advice do you have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?

The best advice I can give future bands is to start young and learn the technical part of music, such as reading standard notation and as cheesy as it sounds follow your dreams. Be confident in who you are as an artist because there's always gonna be haters that are gonna try and bring you down. Always stay strong and true to yourself.

5. Where did you get the idea for the name of your band?

Our drummer, Colter, stumbled on the name while doing some research and many people think its based off a movie, but it was actually originally a city in England. We love the name and its catchy, which is another plus. I think our name suites us and we all love it.

6. What do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

We have only been a band for like 4-5 months. Our drummer and guitarist have never played live shows before this band, but me and our lead vocalist have been in a few bands. I myself have been in 3-4 bands before this one and have played with big bands such as Silverstein, Gob, Social Code, Dead and Divine. We are also trying to line up a Canada wide tour in the summer. We are playing a show with Architects, and Dead & Divine on May 4th in Medicine Hat.

7. What is racing your mind before you go on stage?

Its hard to explain the feeling when you are on stage plus when you hear the fans screaming and anticipating our set. All I can tell you is that its the greatest feeling in the world and the crowd gives us energy to preform better. Its prefect when the crowd is loud with every show we play, also we love when the crowd moves and gets involved with our music because that's why we play music in the first place. We are eternally grateful for all our fans and friends that support our music. I hope eventually everyone will see us live at least once. We live for our music.
Here are the questions I asked Colter (Drums) for Watership Down and he answered them under the questions:

1. What inspired you to play music?

Everyday life, growing up, learning and experiences
2. How has music changed your life?

I am where I am today because of music and I am happy to be there.

3. What bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?

I listen to mostly post hardcore music examples: The Chariot, Norma Jean, Of legends, ect. and everyday I learn more about the post-hardcore genre, plus where I would like to be in it.

4. What advice do you have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?

Have tons of ambition and always keep your head up, keep a steady pace of work and be humble.

5. Where did you get the idea for the name of your band? 

Watership Down is a town in Europe, but we took the name from the popular book and movie.

6. What do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

We are all people who love interacting with people!!!!

7. What is racing your mind before you go on stage?

"How do our songs go?" lol

Everyone should check out Watership Down because their music is amazing and I love how catchy it is!!!!! Here are the band members names:
Cody Buhler - Vocals
Dayten Sheffar - Guitar
Joe Lierman - Bass/Backup Vocals
Colter Cuthbertson - Drums
Just in case if you want to get to know them even more. You can chat with them on Facebook because they are really cool and chill guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment