Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Interview with Set The Sun

Here are the members of the band:

Nate Anderson - Lead Vocalist
David Southern - Guitar/Vocalist
Arturo Pina - Guitar
Dakota Price - Bass/Vocalist
Brandon Daniels - Synth
Alex Summers - Drums

The highlighted names are the ones that I interviewed!!!!

Here are the questions I asked them:

1. what inspired you to play music?

2. how has music changed your life?

3. what bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?

4. what advice do you have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?

5. where did you get the idea for the name of your band?

6. what do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

7. what is racing your mind before you go on stage?

Start with David Southern response:

1. My Dad. I grew up around him always jamming and playing keys. He has been playing for well over twenty years and he is definitely the one where I get my musical talents from. He was part of the reason I was inspired to pick up a guitar.

2. Music has always helped me through my problems. Whether I have had a rough day, I can always come home to my guitar and forget all my problems. It helps me with stress, it is my escape.

3.  I listen to alot of The Devil Wears Prada, Underoath, The Word Alive. They are all awesome influences and shape the way I write songs.

4. Never give up. Dont settle for anything. If you want it, go get it.

5. We had a list of names we were thinking about and we actually combines the two and got: Set The Sun. I thought it was pretty cool and felt like it meant anyone can do anything they want. "You can set the sun" type of feel (haha).

6.  I'm not the most outgoing person. I wish I was, but the truth is I am pretty shy and reserved unless I know you well.

7. How can I make this show better than the last show? How can I make this show the best these fans have seen? My palms start to sweat. I get nervous just like anyone else does. But once the first note kicks in it is gone and it is a blast for me! I love always bringing something new to every show. 

Next is Arturo Pina response:

1. I had always loved music, but once I met a guy in 6th grade that played guitar and I thought it was the coolest thing ever so I picked one up and the rest is history :)

2. Music has basically made me who I am today in every way and I have decided to keep doing music and become an audio engineer

3.  My music taste is very broad! some of my all time favorites include memphis may fire, incubus, jason mraz and even fall out boy. All of them influence my own music in one way or another.

4. It is not easy but if you truly love it and its your passion definitely do whatever it takes to reach your goals and just don't give up!!!!

5. Set the sun if I am not mistaken came from a girl who suggested the band be called SWIM the sun and I guess the guys at the time changed that and came up with set the sun (hahahaha).

6. (Hmm) good question, probably that I tend to take my pants off at practice because it gets too hot (hahaha).

7. Man a million things! but mainly just a bunch of adrenaline and all the dance moves we have coordinated for that show (hahaha).

Last, but not least Alex Summers response:

1. I've been playing drums since I was 6 years old, but i didn't get serious about it until 9th grade. That was when I started getting into the "scene" and I was listening to bands like Underoath, blessthefall, and Bullet For My Valentine. Hearing drummers playing fast, heavy fills and beats was something I was not used to. I fell in love with it and knew I had to do it.

2. Playing drums has changed me in so many ways. I've met some amazing friends because of Set The Sun and I am so blessed I get to play music with them. The thing I love the most about playing music though is I can use it as an escape to my problems in the real world.

3. My biggest influences as a drummer are Underoath and The Devil Wears Prada. All of those drummers have such a unique style and are great musicians. With many bands I associate their music with a certain time in my life I want to remember and years on down the road I will listen to it again because it brings back good memories. It works the opposite way too, though. Lots of times I listen to certain bands just to forget about the things I am going through at that same time.

4. Find a dedicated group of musicians and make it your number one priority. You get as much out of it as you put in.

5. Me and David really wanted to book a show at a local venue, except we didn't have a name. So this girl we knew had a long list of band names she thought of and one was 'Swim The Sun'. We thought it was cool, but that it sounded too electro-popish. So we came up with Set The Sun, and thought it was catchy and good enough for the time being (haha).

6. That even though they may consider them just fans, they are the ones that make us successful. We wouldn't be where we are now without their support. And that they should definitely introduce themselves and hang out with us at shows, we love making new friends!

7. I generally try to keep a clear head before a show. I just remind myself that it's like practice, only with a couple more friends watching. I always drink an energy drink before though and it usually gets rid of my nerves, plus pumps me up instead.  
I listen to Set The Sun every time I wake up because it gives me the energy to wake up and be in a great mood!!! Listen to Set The Sun  because it is like your breakfast in the morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment