Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Interview with Showbread and Gwen Stacy

Here are the members of Showbread:
Josh Dies - Lead Vocals, Guitar
Patrick Porter - Bass
Garrett Holmes - Synthesizer, Guitar
Drew Porter - Drums


Here are the members of the band Gewn Stacy:
Brent
Geoff
Pat
Matt
Brett


The band members that I interviewed have their names in bold lettering!!!


The important information I got from their answers are in bold lettering as well!!!!!


Here are the questions I asked them and how they answered them is below it:


1. what inspired you to play music?


Patrick: At first I was inspired by my brother Matt, who played trumpet in our high school. I guess just being around all of the parades and summer programs, made me want to do it as well. Later on, the music I was listening to in high school made me want to pick up the guitar, and play in a band of my own.


Drew: Not to sound cliche or anything but my inspiration for playing music is Jesus. If it were not for doing his work.  I would put my college degree to use and actually make money (Hahaha...but for real). Also, when I was young my uncle would always bring his guitar over to my grandma's house and play old gospel music, while everyone sang along. I remember thinking that was the coolest thing in the world. So when I was 12 or so I began taking guitar lessons from my uncle and that started it all.


2. how has music changed your life?


Patrick: Due to music and Gwen Stacy in particular I have been able to see and do a lot of things most people can only dream of. I'm very thankful, and extremely happy to have had those opportunities!!!!


Drew: It has given me the opportunity to see almost every state in the U.S. (I'm lacking only 2 or 3). I've been able to travel to Europe. I've been able to play drums in front of crowds of thousands of people. I get to do things most people only dream of doing


3. what bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?


Patrick: My music tastes constantly change, but as far my time with Gwen Stacy. I would have to say Poison the Well, Thrice, and Every Time I Die were the biggest influences on what I wrote for the band.


Drew: I like straight up rock n roll bands: Foo Fighters, Queens of The Stone Age, and Weezer are a few of my favorites. We take influence from many bands. For our last record, I listened to Foo Fighters, Stone Temple Pilots, and Weezer almost exclusively because I wanted to project their drum styles on our record. I think it came out pretty good.
 
4. what advice do you have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?


Patrick: Strive to be unique!!!  since there is so many bands out there.  They are all starting to sound the same. Focus on creating and honoring in on your own style. You will stand out more that way.


Drew: Don't try to recreate what someone has already done. People don't want to hear the same thing over and over. If you look at the really big bands, most of the time, they are credited with bringing something completely different to the table. The perfect example of this is Nirvana. They invented a brand new genre when they showed up.


5. where did you get the idea for the name of your band?


Patrick: The original members wanted a name involving comic books, and landed on Gwen Stacy. I don't think anyone was super stoked on it at the time, but the name just stuck I guess.


Drew: Back in the day, some of the early guys were sifting through the bible looking for band names and came across showbread. They thought it sounded funny. It stuck.


6. what do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?


Patrick: If they don't know already and I am sure I can speak for everyone else when I say this. We all really appreciated anyone that ever had an interest or cared about Gwen Stacy. They're what made the 6 years of the band's existense worth it, and very fulfilling.


Drew: I don't enjoy talking about drum gear like most drummers do. When other guys start trying to bring me into their conversations I'm mostly thinking, " I don't care about your fancy stands, just play the dang drums."


7. what is racing your mind before you go on stage?
Patrick: Depends on the situation or what show it was. I was always just excited to play soon and focused on having as much fun as I could.


Drew: My last thought before starting the first song is usually: "I wonder if there's food after the show?"
These two brothers are on the path of making a real difference to the music industry, by their dedication to bringing music all across the countries!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment