Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Interview with Ashton Beekhuizen (Guitarist) of Unicron

Here are the band members:
Courtney LaPlante
Jackson LaPlante
Lee Henwood
Ashton Beekhuizen
 Kenneth Walker
Here are the questions I asked him and this is how he responded:
1. what inspired you to play music?
2. how has music changed your life?
3. what bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?
4. what advice do you have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?
5. where did you get the idea for the name of your band?
6. what do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?
7. what is racing your mind before you go on stage?
1. I think growing up in a musical family was one of the biggest reasons I started playing music. My grandmother was a music teacher all her life, and when I was younger I was a pretty good piano player. Around the time of middle school I decided I wanted to be in a band, so I took up the drums. I was no good at that, so I picked up the family acoustic and kind of just taught myself.

2. Music has become such a large part of my life I couldn't imagine myself without it. Music has basically given me a motivation to get up everyday and work a crap job to make money just to tour. Playing music and being on tour makes is the one time I can say I'm truly happy, I just love every minute of it.

3. Well my absolute favorite artists ever would have to be converge, the Dillinger escape plan and Matthew good (his solo stuff) it's hard to say how these artists shaped my music because it is so different from what I play, but I'd be lying if I told you those weren't my two biggest influences in music. I'd have to say lately though I've been listening to a lot of the contortionist, and Tyler The Creator.

4. It's a hard business, and basically you just have to be persistent. Obviously having good music is a plus, but you have to put everything you have into it. If you do it half ass, then what's the point? Before any of these bands "make it", especially in the metal/hardcore scene that were in, those guys work crappy full time jobs and work their asses off promoting themselves and touring and recording whenever they can. The best advice I can offer is just keep at it, and yes play to as many people as you can, but don't forget that as much as we want it to be about the music, these days promotion and image are just as important.

5. Well I didn't actually have a part in naming "unicorn". Before their first show, the original members ( Courtney lee and Jackson) needed a name. They left it up too their younger brother who presented them with two names, one of which being unicorn. It comes from an old transformers film, although Jackson could explain it better than I could.

6. I really can't think of anything but if anyone has any questions they should feel free to ask!

7. I've played enough shows now that I rarely think to hard before hitting the stage. Generally were setting up our gear then we want to start asap. I do have a tendency to start the set playing s little fast though so lately I've been focusing on slowing everything down, and playing everything spot on, while not forgetting the choreography!

Unicorn is not a fairy tale because of the many hardships that this band had to go through to get their name out there. So by giving them a chance, you will show them that miracles do happen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment