Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Interview with Islands In Motion

Here are the band members:
Billy Malloy - Vocals/ Guitar
Rene Legault - Bass/Guitar/Vocals
Dan Ravenell - Drums

The bolded names are the people that got interviewed!!

Here are the questions that I asked Billy and Rene:

1. what inspired you to play music?
2. how has music changed your life?
3. what bands do you listen to and how have they shaped your music?
4. what advice do you have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?
5. where did you get the idea for the name of your band?
6. what do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?
7. what is racing your mind before you go on stage?
Here are the questions I asked Dan:

1. what inspired you to play music and how has it changed your life?
2. what is racing through your mind before you go on stage?
3. what advice do you have for others that want to pursue music as their career?
4. what are your favorite bands and how have they changed the way you play?
5. If you could describe your life in one word what would it be and why?

First starting with Billy:

1. The constant melodies in my head most def inspired me to take on music full time

2. It's made me the person I am today..music is the only medicine I need always and forever lol

3. I teach music for a living so I'm constantly being introduced to new music so I really can't name any specific artist as my current influence...but main influences over all would be Boston Daryll hall Patrick stump Casey Crescenzo Paul Simon Michael McDonald the list can run a marathon....
 
4. Prepare to work your ass off and never expect to receive anything for it...
5. Rene thought of it....inspired by the tv series "lost"
6.I want our fans to know that we have big penises...that get hard when we perform for them....only them
7.should I use the bathroom??? Lol really ...that's the only thing I stress about before a show....

Then with Rene:
 
1. Actually it's kinda corny, when I was in middle school there were a few kids who were starting to play instruments so I pretty much tried to fill in whatever instrument needed to be played. But I stuck with it longer than most of them I believe hah

2. Music's been great for my life because I've gotten to travel a good amount to play for kids I never would have met otherwise. I've made a lot of good friends over music.

3. Hah this one, well... I actually listen to very little music similar to the types of music I play in bands. I'm a pretty mellow guy, most of the stuff I listen to is really instrumental-y acoustic indie music or jazz and whatnot.

4. ALWAYS. PLAY. Don't get comfortable with your abilities. You can always get better at something. Whenever me and my friends are hanging out, at the very least one of us is always randomly jamming.

5. Animal Empire was a collaborative effort between the whole band, we all like animals. They're pretty cool. Islands in Motion was my idea. I actually was intending to use it for my acoustic project, but when I started jamming with Dan and Billy, we needed a name. A lot of people have asked me about. It's not about LOST, even though that show ruled. It's not about tectonic plates moving all the landmasses either, although I am a nerd. I kinda thought of myself as an island, and I don't plan on staying in Rhode Island, it kinda stuck in my head.

6. I'm a huge nerd. Now ya know people, come hang out.

7. Usually just "Remember that new part!" because both of my bands are constantly changing little things in our songs to keep it interesting.
Last, but not least: Dan
 
1. I knew i always wanted to play drums. I have been playing them for over 10 years now. Once i started getting into playing more, it started to take more of an important role in my life. A few years later i picked up a guitar for the first time and i have been playing everything i can get my hands on since. Now it's the most important thing i do. If i can't play music whether it be write a song, record myself or somebody else then the day isn't complete.

2. Playing live music is the most exciting feeling! I always have a moment during any live show i play to take it all in and appreciate it. It's so awesome to see a ton of people singing the songs we wrote and having a good time. Just knowing that for a few minutes i influenced them to have a positive time is a really cool feeling for me.

3. Start with a few songs and build your way from there. Narrow your debut songs down to a handful of your bands favorites. Work on them until you all feel that they're ready to be presented to everyone. If you take your time and everyone is committed to the same goal and consistently working to get your band out there, then the listeners will come. Most important, always make sure you're having an awesome time. Being in a band is all about having making music and having fun!

4. The most influential albums for me have been by some great artists. Circa Survive, The Receiving End of Sirens, Protest the Hero and a range from very pop rock to hardcore have shaped the way i listen to and play music today. I'm always listening to music deeper than the average listener. Where most people hear a guitar i like to think of how that sound alone was created. What guitar was used, microphone placement, guitar amp used, effects applied in the studio, mixing and production techniques. It seriously never stops!

5. I have to go with Musician. There is honestly nothing i feel more confident about.
 
 
Dan Ravenell
Islands in Motion
www.facebook.com/islandsinmotion
From the ashes of Muriel, Islands in Motion came to be. See you at a show!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment