Monday, August 29, 2011

Interview with Watership Down!!!!

Here are the members of the band:


Tyler Lawhorn / Guitar and Vocals

Peter Springsteen / Guitar

Josh Coshnitzke / Drums

PJ Depew / Bass and Vocals

Andy Lunsford / Keys and Programming

Brandon Barlow / Vocals


Here are the questions I asked them and below is their group responses:

1. What inspired you guys to play music?

Music is a great outlet to relieve stress and forget about the hardships that you endure.
2. How has music changed your life?

Music has made us into the people that we are now. It has determined our friendships, career choices, and our outlook on life.
3. What bands do you guys listen to and how have they shaped your music?

Our taste in music varies amongst each member and each persons lists of bands/genres can go on for days. We are inspired by just about any kind of music that we hear around us, no matter what style.
4. What advice do you guys have for others that want to pursue in music as their career?

Our advice for those striving to make music as a career is do not see it as a career. See it as following your passions and dreams. Also, remember that music is not about IMAGE. Wearing certain things or acting a certain way does not make the music good. It is the music that comes from the heart that really moves people.
5. Where did you guys get the idea for the name of your band?

Our band is named after a book called "Watership Down" by an author named, Richard Adams. It is in essence, it is about a group of rabbits on a journey to discover happiness and develop their own unique culture. Like any band, the rabbits encounter insane hardships, so the name just seemed relevant.

6. What do you want your fans to know about you that they might not know already?

We would like everyone to know that we are real down-to-earth approachable people. We love everyone and would love to meet everyone who has ever listened to us or gone to a show!
7. What are you guys thinking before you go on stage?

Pj:
I would have to say it would be to play better then my last show. To keep myself progressing, plus hoping the crowd has fun moves around and don't just stand there lifeless.

Brandon: A lot of the time my mind will go blank and  I will just zone out. Then right before we go on, I will start thinking about how the crowd is going to react. What can I do to make the show more enjoyable and get them more involved, what worked from the previous show and what didn't work. Most of all I start thinking about how I am going to sound and start trying to hype myself up. So I will have a good night and hopefully give that feeling to everyone else.

Peter: I have not really thought about it much. When I was younger I would get super nervous before soccer/basketball games...especially ones that meant something (i.e. final game of the tournament), but with music,  I am not plagued with anxiety I am just on stage with some of my best friends doing what I love. All I can really hope for beyond that is that the crowd has as much fun as we do and that my equipment does not malfunction (I seem to be on a streak of bad luck).

Tyler:Anxiety does not kick in until I am on stage and our set is seconds away from kicking in. At that point, my fingers decide that they don't want to work. Once we get halfway through a song though, I am at ease. I go into a zone and the set is over in the blink of an eye.

Josh: I've played many, many shows and before each one I just let my mind be empty. I don't really have much running through my mind until 5 minutes before we go on. That is when the nerves hit me. It does not hit me in a negative way, it is more of a positive energy. I get really excited and my adrenaline starts to flow. Once on stage, I wish that I could be up there forever.

Andy: I think through every single song and part, like: Every switch I have to make on the synth and before I play the next song. After a quick run through of that, I pretty much blank out and absorb the crowd's energy (haha)

Watership Down is a band that you know you will be listening to even when you reach age 30 (haha). No, but seriously if you are not listening to Watership Down you might as well sink your ship because you are missing out. Yea so like their facebook band page because if you don't you might as well not listen to music as all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment